Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Napkin rings

A miniaturist views everyday objects with a different eye than a non-miniaturist. Turn a miniaturist loose in a thrift or dollar store, and he or she will find the makings of a miniature world. For example, this bag of Dollar Tree silver-plastic napkin rings



looks like this to me (the blue glasses are from eBay, and the other items are Re-ment and Dollar Tree):


I deliberately made the "shelves" crooked since their shape is reminiscent of 1960s retro-futurism.


Like these:





I found these wooden napkin rings at a thrift store:


I think both sets of napkins rings make interesting shelves in my still-under-construction urban loft:



(Paintings by my mother, and the beautiful Elizabeth Causeret vase was a wonderful gift from Mitchymoo. The table in the middle is composed of clear, stacked sewing machine bobbins.)

Wishing you only good things, Neen

8 comments:

  1. So cool! I REALLY like the wooden napkin ring project. I need to check out mine and see what I could make with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, gm! I think your house, like mine, will have no napkin rings or place mats, they will all be turned into something miniature! xx

      Delete
  2. Ha, such stores are a real paradise, it's very hard to not leave without something that is useful for miniatures :-). Great furniture you made from the napkin rings, and the bobbins table is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Night Owl! So many things in those stores have so much potential; at least if we go crazy there our wallets aren't too badly hurt! xx

      Delete
  3. You've got a great eye for repurposing Neen. The napkin rings look fab =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pepper, My friends have gotten used to my odd purchases while out shopping. They love the designer pieces, I love the packaging! Xx

      Delete
  4. You always have a good eye for those things! I adore those wooden napkin rings. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyd, my friends try hard to see napkin rings, pill bottles, and ceiling lighting panels the way I do, but the looks on their faces say, "humor her." Xx

      Delete