Pages

Friday, April 10, 2015

Inspired by Miss Pickerel

Thanks to Ellen MacGregor, I spent many hours with Miss Pickerel when I was a child. Miss Pickerel and I went to Mars and the Moon, to name just two of our destinations.





I didn't set out to travel to outer space today, I wanted to create a scene around Megan Hornbecker's Cubed Art Sculpture that I purchased from her Shapeways store. The Cubed Art Sculpture is very futuristic.



As I was building my scene, Miss Pickerel came to visit. She asked "why not set your scene on the moon, after all, I traveled there, and you are using my living room." She was right, I wanted to contrast the Cubed Art Sculpture with something very different, and I had borrowed Miss Pickerel's (and Miss Marple's) interior decor, right down to the lived-in armchair and the suit of armor.





Writers often write about how their characters actual write their story. I have had more than one author tell me that they are often surprised where the characters lead them. That experience happened to me today. I started to create a futuristic interior around Megan's Cubed Art Sculpture, and I ended up in space, in Miss Pickerel's living room, with her cats......






Wishing you only good things,
Neen

10 comments:

  1. I have not heard of the Miss Pickerell stories but I certainly like the view from her living room. The cubed sculpture looks great with that background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharee! I hadn't thought of Miss Pickerel in years. I think she has been rediscovered because a few of her books have been re-issued as ebooks. By the way, you did get your first choice book in my giveaway. Thanks again for your supportive comments.

      Delete
  2. Well done, Neen. Love the contrast of old and new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Casey, I always appreciate your comments and I absolutely love your blog!!!

      Delete
  3. I know why the chair is so lived in. That is quite a cozy corner with tea and a view of the moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gm, I agree! I think Eliza Doolittle said it best:
      "All I want is a room somewhere. Far away from the cold night air. With one enormous chair....."

      Delete
  4. Hi Neen! The stark contrast of the view and the nostalgic and vintage interior mixed with the modern thrown in for added interest, is Totally Intriguing and I love the results! I also like the idea of your using a beloved book as the basis of your work; that makes it even Better!!! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, I so appreciate your artist's eye!

      Delete
  5. Hi Neen!
    So glad you like it, and I LOVE the out of this world scene you created. I've been out of the blog world for several months, but I'm trying to get back in.
    mini hugs,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of Miss Pickerel either, but I love her living room - cats, books and a comfy chair make any living room cosy, and this one has an amazing view! Now I'll have to find the books :-)

    ReplyDelete